For those who are unfamiliar with .EXE and .ZIP files, this page attempts to
explain what these files are and how to install them.
Simply stated, an .EXE file is a program that Windows can execute. A .ZIP file
is a compressed file containing several other files. Windows cannot
automatically install directly from a .ZIP file unless a program like
WinZip is installed.
Because all of our .EXE and .ZIP files are compressed, there is not much
difference in the sizes of these files. Therefore, the amount of time to
download each type of file is about the same. The .EXE file is simpler
On the download page, click on the name of the file you want to download.
You will be asked where to "Save" the file. You should save the downloaded
file in a folder (also called a directory or subdirectory).
Remember where you save the downloaded file. One recommended approach is to
always save downloaded files in a special directory reserved for that purpose.
Some versions of windows automatically have a folder called
My Documents\download_files where you can save your downloaded files.
Otherwise, you may want to create a c:\Download Files or a c:\download_files
Follow the instructions below for the type of file you downloaded.
Once you have downloaded the program, find the .EXE
file on your computer (in the folder where you downloaded the file). Double
click on the .EXE file to start the setup and install of the program.
Once you have downloaded the .ZIP file, you must run an "unzipping" program
to extract all the files inside the zip file. You will need a program
, etc to actually extract all the files. Once the files
have been extracted, you should find a SETUP.EXE file. Double click on this
file to start the setup. This will install our program onto your computer.
Follow these steps to use the Windows Find program:
- Click on the Windows Start Button (bottom left corner of the screen).
- Select Find and then choose "File or Folders" and a new "Find" Window will appear.
Enter the name of the file that you downloaded in the "Named" section.
Example, (name.exe or name.zip). (If you can't remember the name of the
file you downloaded, return to our download page on our web site. Place
your mouse over the download link you selected. At the bottom of the
screen there should be a URL displaying where the file is downloaded from
and the file name to be downloaded.)
- Under the "Look in" section, choose the option that states either "My Computer" or "Local Hard Drives"
- Make sure the "Include Subfolders" option is checked.
- Click on the "Find Now" button.
- The .EXE or .ZIP file should eventually be found and displayed in a list box.
- If you downloaded the .EXE file, you can double click on this entry to start the setup and install.
- If you downloaded the .ZIP file, normally you can double click on this entry to load your unzip program.